Monday 25 January 2010

Building Regulations generally...

The control of building standards is completely separate from Development Control, and approval under the building regulations must not be confused with planning permission. Approval under the building regulations does not mean that planning permission has been given and vice versa. Once approval has been given, you are required to notify Building Control of commencement and subsequent visits as required.

Some building works are exempt from the Building Regulations, although Planning Permission may still be required. Even if the work does not need planning permission, it may require approval under the Building Regulations.

Building Regulations are concerned with maintaining the health and safety standards of buildings, energy conservation and access and facilities for disabled people. These are broken down into guidance notes, more commonly referred to as Approved Document A, B etc. The full list is as follows:-

A - Structure
B - Fire Safety
C - Site Preparation and Resistance to moisture
D - Toxic Substances
E - Resistance to the Passage of Sound
F - Ventilation
G - Hygiene
H - Drainage and Waste Disposal
J - Heat Producing Appliances
K - Stairs, Ramps and Guards
L1A - Conservation of Fuel and Power (for new domestic buildings)
L1B - Conservation of Fuel and Power (for works to existing domestic buildings)
L2A - Conservation of Fuel and Power (for new build non domestic dwellings)
L2B - Conservation of Fuel and Power (for works to existing non domestic dwellings)
M - Access and Facilities for Disabled People
N - Glazing - Materials and Protection
P - Electrical Safety

Completion Certificates

Council's can now issue Completion Certificates for the benefit of developers and purchasers alike, this is ESSENTIAL when selling the property.

With certain small exceptions, no one may demolish a building unless notice of this is given to the Council. An inspection will then be made of the building to be demolished and a notice will be sent to the person concerned, specifying certain works which must be carried out, e.g. disconnecting, sealing or removing drains; supporting and weatherproofing exposed walls; removal of rubbish from the demolition to leave the site level and free from danger. If this work is not carried out satisfactorily, the Council can undertake the work and recover the cost.