Thursday 27 May 2010

More on latest B. Regs 2010 Changes...

Building Regulations latest changes...

The 2010 versions of Part L, F & J have now been published, along with the transitional provisions to be applied at their introduction on the 1st October 2010.

Part F: Ventilation.

Part J: Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems.

Part L1A: Conservation of fuel and power New dwellings.

Part L1B: Conservation of fuel and power Existing dwellings.

Part L2A: Conservation of fuel and power New buildings other than dwellings.

Part L2B: Conservation of fuel and power Existing buildings other than dwellings.

As expected there are new requirements for:

  • Testing of mechanical air flow rates in dwellings
  • Commissioning of mechanical ventilation systems
  • Information relating to mechanical ventilation systems to be supplied to the building owner
  • TER / DER calculations and specifications to be submitted to the building control body before work starts on site
  • Carbon monoxide alarms where combustion appliances are installed

A more detailed review of the main changes and implications for designers and builders will be published by NHBC shortly.

The 2010 amendments do not apply to:

  • Sites where work has already started, prior to the 1st October 2010, or
  • Sites where an Initial Notice has been issued, prior to the 1st October 2010, providing work starts on site before the 1st October 2011.

The published transitional arrangements mean you will not need to obtain a Plans Certificate for a scheme prior to the 1st October 2010, just ensure an Initial Notice is served.

SAP Calcs...

Why do you need a SAP Calculation?

With Governmental and Public focus on C02 emissions, Designers and Developers need to consider the impact that their designs are having on the environment like never before. Part L1a of the Building Regulations requires that SAP calculations are carried out on all new build developments to prove that they are not contributing excessively to carbon emissions. Each dwelling must demonstrate that it meets the Target Emission Rate as stipulated within the SAP calculation.

There are 2 stages for the SAP Calculations. The Design Stage is completed and submitted at the same time as your building control application to your Building Control Body or Approved Inspector. If there are changes to the specification after the Design SAP has been completed then the Building Control Officer or Approved Inspector may request that an amended Design SAP is submitted.

The As-Built Stage is calculated when the premises is complete. From the calculation a 'pass' Certificate will be produced for submission to the Building Control Officer or Approved Inspector.

Approved Document Part L1A

Part L1A is to do with Conservation of Fuel and Power in new dwellings and is just one part of the Building Regulations in England and Wales. Since the government announced that it intends to reduce the UK's carbon emissions by 60% by the year 2050 there has been a concerted effort to look at ways of reducing emissions from within the built environment. 50% of the UK's carbon emissions can be attributed to the built environment so it stands to reason that the biggest cut backs can be made in this area. Part L1a contains the legislation that aims to make this happen.

There are five criteria which must be met to achieve compliance. One of these criteria is that the Dwelling Emission Rate should be equal to or less than the Target Emission Rate. This is achieved using the government approved calculation methodology, which in this case is the SAP calculation. Other factors that are covered by Part L1a include air permeability rates, restricting U values and limiting solar gains in summer.

EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

The Energy Performance Certificate is now a mandatory requirement for all new homes completed after 6th April 2008. The certificate sets out the dwellings sap & energy efficiency ratings and also has a list of recommended upgrades in order of cost effectiveness. The certificate is required for the sale of the property.

Building regulations – Full Plans or Building Notice...

You can make a building regulation application in two ways – full plans or building notice. Listed below are the main differences between the two.

Full plans
• You can use it for all types of building work.
• You need to send two copies of plans and application forms (four copies for designated buildings).
• You will pay charges when you send the application to the local authority the plans and again after the first site inspection.
• The decision can take up to five weeks (two months if agreed).
• As long as you follow the approved plans, the work will normally meet building standards when it is inspected.
• You can send the local authority amended plans as long as the scheme is generally the same.
• Approval notice ends three years after the work has been approved.

Building notice
• It is best suited for small uncomplicated work.
• It cannot be used for designated buildings or buildings within three metres of a public sewer.
• You only need to send to the local authority a block plan showing the proposals in relation to existing buildings, boundaries and nearby streets, and details of any drainage. If it is an extension (including a room in the roof), you must provide details of its floor area together with two copies of the building notice application forms. (Remember, you should send the local authority as much information as possible.)
• No decision notice is issued.
• You will pay one charge when you forward the Building Notice to the local authority.
• There is more emphasis on site work and your builder – this might mean that work will need to be removed or altered if it does not meet certain standards.
• The notice ends three years after being accepted.
• It may not be accepted by some lending organisations.

Designated buildings are offices, shops, railway premises, hotels and boarding houses, factories and other places where people are employed.

Note: You will have to pay charges for both applications, and they are the same whichever method
you choose.