Another local project now on site.
Monday, 15 March 2021
Thursday, 11 March 2021
Planning has been granted to convert an existing outbuilding, formerly a large detached garage, to create a garden room/playroom and extend the outbuilding to create a home office and store. It was also within the scope of the proposal to erect an oak framed 4-bay garage.
With the increase in people working from home during the pandemic, it seems a useful time to visit the topic of building regulations and small detached buildings, in domestic settings such as home offices, workshops and other uses.
- Those with a floor area not exceeding 30m2; and
- Those with a floor area not exceeding 15m2
Small, detached buildings less than or equal to 30m2
- The internal floor area must not be greater than 30m2 (for example 3m x 10m, or 5m x 6m), and
- The building must be constructed substantially of non-combustible material unless it is 1m or more away from any boundary.
- The internal floor area must not be more than 15m2 (for example 3m x 5m, or 2-storeys of 7.5m2 each).
- There are no restrictions in relation to the closeness to the boundary, or the type of materials that must be used.