With the increase in people working from home during the pandemic, it seems a useful time to visit the topic of building regulations and small detached buildings, in domestic settings such as home offices, workshops and other uses.
- Those with a floor area not exceeding 30m2; and
- Those with a floor area not exceeding 15m2
Small, detached buildings less than or equal to 30m2
- The internal floor area must not be greater than 30m2 (for example 3m x 10m, or 5m x 6m), and
- The building must be constructed substantially of non-combustible material unless it is 1m or more away from any boundary.
- The internal floor area must not be more than 15m2 (for example 3m x 5m, or 2-storeys of 7.5m2 each).
- There are no restrictions in relation to the closeness to the boundary, or the type of materials that must be used.
If in doubt about your project you can discuss it with your local authority building control team or construction professional before you make an application.